Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Christmas!

This year was a very different Christmas for me, and probably the most special I've yet experienced. The reasons all have to do with my changing perspectives as I age; the more I understand about my family, the world, and the Savior, the more I realize how ridiculously blessed I am and the more I want to pass those blessings on to people around me. This year, especially, I wanted to make special for my mom.

My mother's favorite time of year is Christmas. She always decorates our home from top to bottom with holly, angels, and snowmen, and personally, I think it's the most beautiful place on earth during the holidays. The prevailing theme of my mom's Christmas decor is "believe." The word is found on plates, plaques, and knick-knacks throughout the house. This year, we gave out tree ornaments that spell "believe," along with this message:

"Believe is one of my favorite words at Christmastime. I have always believed in the magic of Christmas, both as a child and perhaps even more so now that I am grown. To me, the admonition to 'believe' means more than just magic and Santa Claus; it reminds us to believe in the power of love, which was manifest in its perfection in the miracle of our Savior's birth. I believe that love can change the world. And I believe that, one starry night in Bethlehem, His love did.

"Ether 12:4"

People say it all the time, but that doesn't make it any less true: Christmas is magical because of the spirit of love that comes with the season, and the spirit of love is the spirit of Christ! Whether we realize what we're feeling or not, the real reason we feel warmth and happiness is because our spirits recognize truth. Our deepest selves know that love is the reason for everything. And God is love!


C is for Christmas. Also, Chaos.

My mother is without a doubt the most ludicrously selfless person I have ever met. She's this way all year, but she goes absolutely wild over Christmas. I make it a point not to mention what I want if I know we can't afford it, because trust me, my mother would find some way to get me a signed Beatles record, even if it meant she had to live on beans for a month. This year, I wanted to return the favor, so I said a prayer in my heart that I wouldn't have to drop out of school for splurging, and I bought her an iPod. Yes. I was so excited that I could hardly stand it. When she opened it, her face made it all worth it - she almost started to cry! Best. Christmas. Ever.

1 comment: